Thursday, 14 November 2013
Tuesday, 12 November 2013
GPs Vote to Reject Plans to Downgrade Epsom Hospital
I am writing following my email last week to let you know the result of the GPs ballot on the future of Epsom Hospital. I am very pleased to be able to report that our local doctors voted overwhelmingly to oppose the plans and as a result Surrey has now withdrawn from the Better Services Better Value programme, which was recommending the removal of A&E and maternity services from Epsom.
|Campaigners and members of the public at the SDCCG board meeting on 17th May 2013|
This is very good news and a tribute to everyone who has been involved in campaigning against the plans. I am grateful to everyone who came to the mass meeting at the racecourse and has helped in what we have been doing.
I am now expecting serious discussions locally about how to create stronger links between the hospital and community services, and I hope that our local doctors can find a better approach for the future than these seemingly endless attempts to downgrade Epsom.
Chris Grayling MP
Chris Grayling MP
|Jubilant campaigners celebrating the end of the BSBV campaign for Epsom Hospital.|
Saturday, 9 November 2013
Epsom GPs have voted overwhelmingly to reject the proposed shake-up of acute hospitals which would have seen Epsom Hospital lose its accident and emergency and maternity units.
The results of the poll were leaked at 12.30pm today showing that 74 per cent of GPs who took part voted against the Better Services Better Value proposals.
Just 25 per cent of the GPs had been persuaded that the proposals would be good for their patients, despite a last minute presentation by the BSBV team to the doctors on Tuesday night.
Two thirds of all the GPs, including locums, working in the Surrey Downs area took part in the secret ballot which was run online by an independent company.
Health campaigner Jane Race said she was in tears when she found out the result.
She said: "This is excellent news. It is very good to know that Surrey GPs are thinking about the interests of their patients and are preserving our services.
"We can go forward in confidence that they will work to maintain and invest in the future of the NHS.
"We have worked very hard to gather evidence showing that the BSBV proposals were unsafe and not in the interests of Surrey patients.
"We now look forward to the CCGs and local clinicians working together to produce the best possible service for their patients and the community as a whole."
A BSBV spokesman said: "My assessment is that they will now withdraw from the programme. The six other CCGs will have to consider their next steps."